UFC President Dana White confirmed this week that there was a lot of speculation that the winner of the rematch between Weili Zhang and Joanna Jedrzejczyk, this Saturday in Singapore, scheduled for UFC 275, will face the next straw belt conflict. The news angered the Brazilian fans, who expected Marina Rodriguez to finish third in the standings with four consecutive victories.
Joanna Jedrzejczyk confronts Marina Rodriguez in Singapore interview – Photo: Infoesporte
Joana, of course, thinks it’s fair. After all, he is the former division champion, the record for belt defenses in the straw weight and the first fight against Weili Zhang was chosen as the best fight of 2020. In fact, the Polish woman says it is the promise of a new title fight. that it was already coming.
– Dan said two years ago, after my fight with Weili Zhang. I’ve known him ever since, and people called me crazy, stupid. They didn’t believe me, but the most important thing is to know your value. And I know my value. I’m not arrogant, I’m sure, because of the work I do every day, sacrificing myself. I’m not surprised, I want big fights. Some say that I or Weili Zhang do not deserve a degree. After years of fighting? And let’s do it again.
– What do they want? Do they want fights like Carla Esparza with Rose Namajunas? Nothing against it, but seriously … Of course we have to be in the best shape of the fight, but this is a show, we have to entertain people – Joanna said in an interview. Fight.
Joanna Jedrzejczyk weighs in on the first duel against Weili Zhang in 2020: Poland still sees itself as the biggest attraction of UFC straw weight – Photo: Jeff Bottari / Zuffa LLC
Despite the good argument, there is the question of the phase. Jedrzejczy has not fought since that historic battle against Zhang in March 2020. The Chinese woman then lost her belt after losing to Rose Namajunas, and the American overtook her again in a rematch last November. And Marina, as I said before, has won the last four fights, being active for the last two years.
The Pole, however, said that “something more” was needed, which he said the Brazilian did not have.
– You have to do amazing fights to get the title of the annual fight. It’s not just about making fights safe, we need to entertain people. If you want to get there, go there and beat and cry. There are girls and there are women. When you get to the top 3 of the class, it’s me, Weili Zhang and Rose, and it’s hard to get over that barrier.
UFC 275 fighters face off in Singapore
The Pole intends to dispel any doubts about his merits with a great performance against Zhang on Saturday. Joana knows from experience, however, that winning the Chinese is not an easy task and she needs to be more calculating in her attack to avoid the damage she suffered in the first meeting.
– It will be the hardest fight of my career, but I will try to make it look easy. Every win, every loss is a lesson, and I know where I’ve made mistakes and I don’t want to repeat them in my second fight with Weili Zhang. I will be more skilled, I will use my footwork and distance, I will not have to stay short and exchange blows, because I am a warrior. I need to take care of my pretty face and make sure I win this fight.
Joanna Jedrzejczy smiles at Combat in a Singapore interview – Photo: Adriano Albuquerque
And, in the best Conor McGregor style, Joanna has already started promoting a possible rematch against Esparza, who won the belt in 2015 to win.
– I’m going to beat Weili Zhang on Sunday, and I’m going to be the hottest name in the UFC on Monday. Me and Carla, it will be the same as what happened in the first fight, before the fight was terrified. She didn’t know who this crazy Eastern European girl was. And I’m going to go crazy before our next fight. And I will win the belt. And I’m not going to be eliminated in the second round, but this time in the first round, ‘he said.
O Fight transmits “UFC 275“live and exclusively this Saturday from 19:10 (Brazilian time). combat.com transmits “Warming up the fight“and the first two fights of the same period, as well SportTV 3 yes Fight YouTube. The website tracks the event in real time.
June 11, 2022 in Singapore
MAIN TICKET (23:00 GMT):
Lightweight: Glover Teixeira vs Jiri Prochazka
Flyweight: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Taila Santos
Straw Weight: Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Welterweight: Jack of the Magdalene vs. Ramazan Emeev
PRE-TICKET (19:30, Brasilia time):
Middleweight: Brendan Allen vs. Jacob Malkoun
Luma pisua: Seung Woo Choi vs Joshua Culibao
Lightweight: Hayisaer Maheshate vs. Steve Garcia Jr.
Welterweight: Jake Matthews vs. André Fialho
Bantamweight: Kyung Ho Kang vs Danaa Batgerel
Last weight: Na Liang vs Silvana Juarez
Bantamweight: Ramona Pascual vs. Joselyne Edwards
UFC 275: Singapore welcomes Glover Teixeira for belt defense and Taila Santos title.