At TikTok, 22-year-old student Amanda Souza Oliveira Nicândio showed how she cared for her severe allergy to shrimp. He ate a seafood dish at a kiosk on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro in 2021, but only now shared a video online that garnered 5 million views.
Amanda, a neighbor of Belo Horizonte, says that she has already eaten shrimp at other times and did not imagine that she could have an allergic reaction to food.
“I ate around 10pm and when it was 10:40 pm my eyes started to swell a lot. When we got to UPA. [Unidade de Pronto Atendimento] it was midnight and my face was already completely swollen. It was a matter of minutes. ”
The student also had itching all over his body and his arm was swollen. During the day, he received several medications and, after a while, his face began to swell. “When I was released, I was still swollen, people on the street were watching me. There was a woman who asked if I had been beaten,” she recalled.
the body gives signals
According to Ariana Campos Yang, an immunologist and director of the Asba (Brazilian Allergy and Immunology Association), the most common is to warn of allergies with mild symptoms, such as itching, when food is still in the mouth. or minutes later.consumption. “A lot of people have symptoms when they eat and only have the second or third most serious reaction,” he says.
According to him, the severity depends on the immune system at the time of contact. The weaker the reaction, the faster the reaction progresses.
But it is allergies to seafood, sesame, peanuts and nuts that are involved in the deadly reactions, precisely because they affect more adults. “Adults have less self-care, they don’t value mild symptoms, so they are more likely to suffer from these allergies,” says Yang.
In general, the most common food-related symptoms are:
- Coughing, whistling, shortness of breath;
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- Beehives and red patches on the skin;
- Inflammation in soft parts such as the mouth and eyes.
Allergies can lead to death
In more severe conditions, the above symptoms can lead to glottis edema, which is a severe allergic reaction with swelling in the throat, obstruction of airflow to the lungs and obstruction of breathing.
Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction that can affect many organs, including the skin and mucous membranes, causing inflammation in the region.
“Anaphylaxis is usually caused by the ingestion of certain foods and medications or insect coughs, such as bees, wasps, and ants,” says Alexandra Sayuri Watanabe, coordinator of the Scientific Department of Anaphylaxis in Asba.
What to do?
As it happens very quickly, as Amanda mentioned at the beginning of the text, it is best to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
“It’s only a matter of seconds and minutes. You should go to the nearest hospital as soon as you notice the symptoms,” Yang suggests. If there is anaphylaxis, an intramuscular injection of adrenaline is performed, which has a very rapid action.
Generally, when an individual is cared for in a timely manner, he or she receives a physician’s plan of action, in which he or she is instructed to repeat any food contact (if any). It is also recommended that patients carry a toilet bag with an antiallergic, bronchodilator and adrenaline pen.
Some allergies take time to appear
Although allergies are most common in childhood, some people may develop the disease only in adulthood. The culprit, experts say, is that the immune system is more sensitive to certain foods or medications that are frequently consumed throughout life.
“Seafood allergy, for example, is more common in young adults, as we start consuming these foods at an early age and not in the first years of life,” said Luisa Karla Arruda, an allergist and immunologist and professor of Internal Medicine. Ribeirão Preto Medical School, USP.
* With information on the reports published on 10/24/2019, 02/17/2022 and 08/03/2022.