Marcelo has completed his winning career at Real Madrid. The winger officially said goodbye to the meringue club this Monday at an official ceremony held at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, along with President Florentino Pérez. The Brazilian gave his last press conference and posed next to the 25 caps he had won in the team, ruling out retirement.
– Today is the happiest day since I arrived at Real. Because I’m leaving and realizing that I’ve left a legacy. My teammates don’t see me as Marcelo who does little, but as a great person. I don’t think much about the future … The hardest part is saying goodbye. Wearing this shirt is the prettiest thing. I’m not afraid of the future because history is written, “he said.
Marcelo poses with 25 cups won at Real Madrid – Photo: Outreach / Real Madrid
Florentino Marcelo was the master of farewell ceremonies and tried to show his love for the athlete throughout the event. He stated that the Brazilian, who joined the club at the age of 18, came from Fluminens in 2007 and became a member of the Spanish club.
– Dear Marcelo, you have made all your dreams come true. He won everything, a total of 25 titles. He is without a doubt one of the best defenders in the history of football in the world. Real is your home and always will be. You should be very proud of everything you have achieved at the best club in the world, ”said the representative.
Marcelo was very excited throughout the event. When he went to give his speech, he burst into tears, and then thanked his staff, family, teammates and former teammates, such as former striker Raúl.
Marcelo with his wife, Clarice, and their children, Enzo and Liam, photo: Disclosure / Real Madrid
In his press conference, Marcelo preferred to avoid comparisons with former team Roberto Carlos, another meringue legend and was his replacement in the end. And he emphasized that he was “just like Roberto” and that his countryman was the best in history.
The Brazilian has been lucky enough to play for Real Madrid and has not been injured. He also highlighted how he has reacted in recent seasons when he lost his place and became an experienced athlete who helps more off the field.
– I talked to the coaches and said I wanted to play, but the coaches decide. I was able to talk to them, I felt I could play more, but each has its own philosophy. I understand something else this season, that the focus is not on the field, but on everything. I was selfish in talking to Zidane and Ancelotti, but I understood that I could help in other ways. But of course it bothered me that I wanted to play, because on the day it doesn’t happen, I’m retiring, ”said the 34-year-old.
Marcelo Real Madrid farewell – Photo: Advertising / Real Madrid
- Marcelo is the first Brazilian to rise to the Champions League as captain
Marcelo did not want to hide the fact that he would like to stay with Real Madrid for another season, and even hung up his boots with a meringue shirt. However, he assured the club that he would not regret renewing his contract.
– There is no problem leaving Real Madrid, life does not end here. I didn’t go out and say “Mayo, I wanted another year”. I will always help Real, and we all decided to go out the door, looking everyone in the face. I didn’t want to go on for another year or two out of pity.
Marcelo’s achievements at Real Madrid:
- 5 Champions League: 2013/14, 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2021/22
- 4 Club World Cups: 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- 6 Spanish Championships: 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2016/17, 2019/20 and 2021/22
- 2 Royal Cup: 2010/11 and 2013/14
- 5 Spanish Super Cup: 2008, 2012, 2017, 2020 and 2022
- 3 UEFA Super Cups: 2014, 2016 and 2017
Marcelo’s numbers at Real Madrid:
- 545 game
- 481 as holder
- 371 victories
- 86 tie
- 88 failure
- 38 goals scored
- 101 assistance